Property taxes are a significant expense for both commercial and residential real estate owners in Illinois. Indeed, the National Association of Realtors (NAR) reports that the state of Illinois has the second highest average effective property tax rate in the entire country. Your property tax expenses are already high enough, and you should not be forced to pay more than you actually owe under the law.
At the Law Office of Constantine G. Tzamouranis, P.C., our Illinois property tax appeals attorney has the experience and legal knowledge needed to help you protect your financial rights. If you are considering bringing a property tax appeal in the Chicago area, please contact our law firm today for immediate assistance with your case.
Appealing a Property Tax Assessment in Illinois
It is by no means easy to mount a successful property tax appeal. If you are considering appealing your assessment, you should be represented by a qualified attorney. While the Illinois property tax appeals process is governed by state law (35 ILCS 200 Property Tax Code), property tax assessments are actually handled at the local level. Individual counties and townships sometimes create their own additional rules and procedures that must be followed. Whether your property is located in Cook County, DuPage County, Will County, or any other jurisdiction in the area, it is imperative that you work with a lawyer who has experience with the local rules.
Most counties in Illinois have very strict time limits to challenge property tax assessments. To ensure that your rights are protected, you should take action as soon as you notice a problem with your property taxes. Our Illinois property tax appeals lawyer can help you get started building a case. Generally, there are two ways to prevail in a property tax assessment appeal:
- You must be able to prove that your property is assessed at an amount that is too high for the current market value; or
- You must be able to prove that your property is assessed at an amount that is not uniform with the rest of the surrounding community.
Property tax appeal cases are often document intensive. To win your appeal, you will need to work with a lawyer who can put together all of the evidence needed to support your case.
We are a Full-Service Property Tax Appeals Law Firm
At the Law Office of Constantine G. Tzamouranis, P.C., our law firm is proud to provide a full range of property tax appeal services to residential and commercial real estate owners throughout the Chicago metropolitan area. Our services include:
- In-depth analysis of your property tax assessment to ensure accuracy;
- Comprehensive review of the implied fair market value of your property;
- Development of a plan to appeal an inappropriate assessment;
- Collaboration with state and local tax assessment consultants, appraisers, and experts;
- Consultation and advisement on the structuring of proposed real estate transaction;
- Review to ensure compliance with state and local law; and
- Representation before the local assessing authorities as well as the Illinois Illinois Property Tax Appeal Board.
Contact Our Illinois Property Tax Appeal Attorney Today
At the Law Office of Constantine G. Tzamouranis, P.C., our skilled real estate attorney has extensive experience handling property tax appeals. To learn more about what we can do for you, please contact us today for a free legal consultation. With offices in Orland Park and Bloomingdale, we serve clients throughout the Greater Chicago region, including in Cook County and DuPage County.